New storytelling formats such as TED Talks, PetchaKucha, and Ignite Talks have changed the way we present information. Audiences today demand greater engagement that go beyond your standard PowerPoint deck.
Follow these six simple hacks to create a more shared audience experience:
- Participate in the social media conversation happening online. Read up on the conference agenda and start following the event, interesting conference streams, and speakers. Use the event hashtag and relevant industry related hashtags in your posts.
- Share photos and short videos of what you see together with your observations, key takeaways, and feedback. Tag fellow speakers.
- Moving to the centre of the room during your presentation allows you to have a more connected experience with your audience, versus being an observer on stage.
- Use break times to connect with your audience and gain feedback. People often share information that they were reluctant to bring up during the session.
- Be sensitive to room chatter. Are people surfing on their mobiles, or whispering to each other? This can help indicate your level of engagement, so that you can tweak your material responsively.
- Work with your conference organisers to get real time feedback via audience interaction apps.
Photo credit : <a href=”https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/education”>Education photo created by master1305 – www.freepik.com</a>